A Portuguese Golden Visa can provide citizens of non-European Union countries a secondary citizenship (residence permit and passport).
With a property investment of at least 500.000,00€ an investor can obtain a residency visa in Portugal in 4 to 6 months.
What is required:
The rules governing the granting of a Residence Permit for Investment (Golden Visa), in force from 8 October 2012, enable third country nationals to obtain a temporary residence permit to conduct business activities with visa waiver to enter national territory. The beneficiaries of a Golden Visa are entitled to:
• Residence visa waiver for entering Portugal;
• Living and working in Portugal, on condition that they stay in Portugal for a period of 7 or more days, in the first year, and 14 or more days, in the subsequent 2 years;
• Visa exemption for travelling within the Schengen Area;
• Family reunification;
• Applying for permanent residence after 5 years of temporary residence with the Golden Visa;
• Applying for Portuguese citizenship, by naturalization, provided that it is fulfilled all the other requirements set out in the Citizenship Law;
Who may apply:
All third country citizens who conduct an investment activity, as an individual business person or through a company 100% owned by the investor and set up in Portugal or in another EU Member State and who, in addition, are stably settled in Portugal, provided these citizens fulfil the quantitative requirements and the time requirements set out by the relevant legislation, may apply for a Residence Permit for Investment, by one of the following routes:
1. The purchase of real estate property with a value equal to or above 500 thousand Euros;
2. Capital transfer with a value equal to or above 1 million Euros;
3. The creation of, at least, 10 job positions;
4. The purchase of property, with construction dating back more than 30 years or located in urban regeneration areas, for refurbishing, for a total value equal to or above 350 thousand Euros;
5. Capital transfer with a value equal to or above 350 thousand Euros for investing in research activities conducted by public or private scientific research institutions involved in the national scientific or technologic system;
6. Capital transfer with a value equal to or above 250 thousand Euros for investing in artistic output or supporting the arts, for reconstruction or refurbishment of the national heritage, through the local and central authorities, public institutions, public corporate sector, public foundations, private foundations of public interest, networked local authorities, local corporate sector organizations, local associations and public cultural associations, pursuing activities of artistic output, and reconstruction or maintenance of the national heritage;
7. I. Capital transfer of the amount of 350 thousand Euros, or higher, for the acquisition of units of investment funds or venture capital fund of funds dedicated to the capitalisation of companies, capital injected under the Portuguese legislation, whose maturity, at the moment of the investment, is, at least, of five years and, at least, 60% of the investments is realized in commercial companies with head office in national territory;
II. Capital transfer of the amount of 350 thousand Euros, or higher, for constitution of a commercial society with head office in the national territory, combined with the creation of five permanent working jobs, or for the reinforcement of the share capital of a commercial society with head office in national territory, already existing, with the creation or keeping of working jobs, with a minimum of five permanent jobs, and for a minimum period of three years.
- Passport or another valid travelling document
- Proof of legal entry and permanence in national territory
- Proof of health insurance
- Signed application enabling verification of the Portuguese Criminal Records by SEF
- Criminal Record Certificate from the relevant authority of the applicants home country or from other country where he/ she resided for over a year requirement of the investment activity
- Investment activity for a minimum period of five years attested by a bona fide declaration signed by the applicant.
Portuguese, EU and EEE nationals are not eligible for the Golden Visa